Tuesday, November 9, 2010

To the top of Japan!

I have always been a pretty social person, most things I do in life I appreciate having a partner in crime.  But then again, there are times and events that are better off done alone.  My trip to Mt Fuji was just that kind of event.  I feel that the struggle and adventure can be amplified when its all up to you to find you're way.
  I left Hirakata with a backpack full of gear, a bus ticket, and some extremely broken Japanese language skills.  I quickly found the extreme hospitality that is found basically everywhere in Japan.  The hospitality is what I was dependant on the make this solo trip possible.  And it worked, otherwise there would have been only a few times that I was sure I was heading the right way.
      The climbing of Fuji has multiple purposes depending on a specific individuals intentions.  Some are adventure seekers looking to check another summit off of their list, while others use Fuji for its culturally historical traditions, a sort of pilgrimage.   Five different trails on many sides of the mountains are all broken into ten segments, each station marked by a torii.  This is where the religious significance of the mountains becomes apparent.  The packed trails reach a very slow pace when these Torii's are near, it is a time for many of the climbers to stop for prayer.  I enjoyed watching this because it allowed me to do two things that I am very interested in, exploring the outdoors while learning about a culture, religion, and its people, all in one shot.
         Another aspect of the adventure that is important to note is that although I embarked on this journey by myself,  I was never really alone.  This friendliness of the Japanese people combined with the gruelling efforts involved in climbing this sacred beast create a shared feeling of comradery through the people on the mountain.  The climb was the constant exchange of words and encouragement.  While the summit is a feeling that everyone up there is one extended group of friends.  With everyone feeling an extreme sense of accomplishment, a nice pat on the shoulder by whoever you happened to be standing next to was a sign that everyone was feeling proud of you and themselves.  Just after 5:30 AM when the sun poked itself over the horizon and the day began for the entire world,  I was happy to be sharing this lifetime memory with new friends,  friends of whom I will never know their names.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great experience - and you got some nice scenic shots. I would like to read more about your interactions with the Japanese climbers. Why were they climbing the mountain?

    ReplyDelete