Friday, October 1, 2010



These pictures may make this court look like a lonely, quiet place, but indeed it is not.  I decided to write about the small basketball court, which is a few minute walk from the Seminar house that I am living in, as my topic for living in a Hirakata neighborhood. Unfortunately, since I made this decision, there has been about a week straight of rainy days which made it difficult to capture a photo that justifies the vibrancy of this park. The park is one the local hang outs for people who like to play sports, like myself, so I jumped right on in.
              When I first went to the park I rode up on my bicycle feeling slightly uncomfortable.  There were about twenty people, who all knew each and did not speak my language, playing ball with each other.  I walked over and started shooting.  As typical of Japan , all of the people there were very friendly, if your ball got away from you, then they would quickly go chase it down and bring it back for you.  Within, five minutes one of the other players asked me to be on his team for a game of four-on-four.  Good ole fashioned pickup game.
              The basketball court is my way of best describing the all around friendliness and hospitality that is found basically everywhere you go in Hirakata neighborhoods.  I now have friends that I have never even really exchanged a sentence with.  We all have a tiny enough vocabulary to greet each other crack some jokes but that’s about it.  Although we made not speak the same language we all have one thing in common, we ball on the same court, apparently that’s all you need to make friends around these parts.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for a way to approach the topic of your neighborhood for this week's post. And you start out quite well. But then you abruptly end. I want to know more about the people you are playing basketball with. And of course I want better pictures. But alas it continues to rain even as I write this comment. So hopefully some day soon the weather will improve and you can continue your fieldwork and get better pictures. It seems like you can frame your text in a similar way to the Bestor reading on rapport building, establishing relationships and learning more about the local culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice of topic - I agree with the above, though: say more!! Also, you might consider titling your posts - it can be a great way to add even more meaning, and to give potential readers a sense of what they'll get to read about.

    ReplyDelete